Study Blitz: Mish Mash Moratorium

Two days to freedom

If you stick a stock of liquor in your locker,
It is slick to stick a lock upon your stock.
Or some joker who is slicker,
Will trick you of your liquor,
If you fail to lock your liquor with a lock.

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Indeed, unless the billboards fall
I'll never see a tree at all.
-- Ogden Nash

Anyway, I know it's been tough for you all to get by without my daily ranting, but to keep you all entertained over the last two days before I'm done with finals, here are some cool games:

Remember Lemmings? Well, Pingus is a game in the same vain, but with penguins:
Download:windows and linux (note that the Windows download is of an older version than the Linux download)

Also check out this Super Mario Bros. clone.
Download:windows and linux
Wow. That sure brings back memories. (you can also install the original music)

There's another free "Mario" game that's only sort of a clone, called Supertux.
Download:windows and linux

What I think is the coolest feature of those past three games is that they all have very intuitive level editors. I can't wait until I have time to make my own Super Mario Bros. levels.

Scorched earth is a well known classic. Scorched3D is a remake using OpenGL for 3d rendering.
Download:windows and linux

If you ever played Civ II, FreeCiv is pretty much identical except for that all the bugs and balancing issues are fixed. The next release is going to have a hexagonal tileset. Ooh... pretty.
Download:windows and linux

Battle for Wesnoth is probably the best open source game I've seen yet. If you like turn based fantasy/strategy games, anyway. Heck, I'd say it's better than any of the commercial turn based games I've played before.
Download:windows and linux

Finally, there's Globulation2 which is just an awesome and very original real time strategy game. You are the leader of a colony of fungus and battle against other fungi for domination. What I think is really neat is that you cannot control your units. You can use flags to give them *suggestions* but what they do is ultimately up to them.
Download:windows and linux

Those are some of my favorite open source games. If you're interested in more, check out Happy Penguin.

Toodles!

0 comments: